Sunday, December 15, 2019

I Haven't Got a Leg to Stand on: I Have Three Legs To Sit On

I set myself a little task yesterday, to see if I could make a stool in one hour.
Luckily I had a slice of elm already cut, so that saved some time


Unfortunately it was sitting out in the rain, so it was wetter than an otter's backside.  
I tried to draw out some of the moisture with shavings that were laying around


I've had this black locust sitting around so I cut that to length for the legs.


I'm still getting the hang of this froe; I think I just need to whack it harder.


I tried to use a drawknife but my weak bench was moving too much, and I had a lot of material to remove so I went back to the chopping block and grabbed a hatchet.


Skipping the drawknife I used a scrub plane to rough out the legs and shape the tenons.  I was running out of time so I left the shape very rough.


The seat was mostly flat, I just evened-up some of the marks from the chainsaw, then bored holes with a slight angle.  I didn't bother working the underside, but I did clean off some of the soft and wet wood along the edge.


Fitting the legs was just a matter of trial and error.  I knocked the stool against the floor to really seat them, and then cut off the tops.


Is it pretty?  No.  Can I take it apart and clean it up later?  Yes.  Is it functional? 



Of course, did I finish it in one hour?  No, it was two hours, but it's done and I can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Work

  I took these pictures on the second day of staying home, thinking that I could post my progress every day, you know, since I have t...